Steve McLaughlin is an experienced trial and appellate attorney who represents clients in business disputes, commercial and financing disputes, insurance coverage and bad faith claims, product liability, transportation litigation and employment related matters. Steve has successfully litigated cases at both the trial and appellate levels throughout the United States. Steve also advises clients on risk management and legal compliance and practice, he coordinates national defense strategies and conducts reviews of corporate protocols. He is the Managing Partner of Ansa Assuncao’s New York office.
Education and Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
Supreme Court of the United States
J.D., Pace University School of Law (1992), magna cum laude
B.S., Fordham University (1989), magna cum laude
- Obtained a defense verdict for leading specialty insurer/reinsurer in high value insurance coverage/bad faith litigation brought by a steel manufacturer in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio.
- Successfully defended a publicly-traded merchant financing company in a series of coordinated actions seeking to invalidate commercial loans on illegality grounds in New York Supreme Court. Cases dismissed.
- Obtained defense verdict for leading engine manufacturer in product liability/warranty action alleging defective diesel marine engines and transmission systems in the United States District Court for the Northern District of New York.
- Successfully defended an international transportation and logistics company in a commercial real estate dispute brought in New York Supreme Court to prevent client’s acquisition of prime undeveloped real estate and alleging business torts and interference with prospective economic advantage. Case dismissed on motion.
- Successfully defended insurer in a multi-million dollar business interruption and extra expense claim brought in the United State District Court for the Western District of Missouri by a commercial printing company.
- Successfully defended specialty insurer and inspection company in consolidated cases in the Maryland Circuit Court involving carbon-monoxide exposure allegedly related to negligent inspection services.
- Successfully defended a leading insurance company in Massachusetts in a breach of contract case arising from catastrophic industrial accident in aircraft component manufacturing facility and company’s code inspection services.
- Successfully argued appeal before New York State Appellate Division on behalf of a REIT in premises liability action. Denial of Summary Judgement reversed on appeal and case dismissed.
- Obtained defense verdict for leading earth-moving manufacturer in a product liability personal injury action alleging design and manufacturing defects in a backhoe loader in New York Supreme Court.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing case against a leading forklift manufacturer in New York product liability action alleging defects in equipment’s design. Affirmed on appeal.
DLA Piper, LLP (1996-2008)