Thomas O. O’Connor
Tom has extensive experience in civil litigation practice with a particular concentration in the insurance, commercial litigation, government protests and product liability and personal injury tort areas. Tom has tried jury cases and argued appeals on behalf of Fortune 100 companies. His insurance and business litigation practice is nationwide and he personally handles dozens of personal injury defense actions in the New York state courts.
Education and Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
United States Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit
Notre Dame Law School, South Bend, Indiana, J.D. (1999)
Fordham University, New York, New York, B.S. (1989)
- Obtained defense verdict for a major equipment breakdown insurer in a multi-million dollar business interruption and property damage litigation brought by manufacturer of industrial steel rolls.
- Successfully defended equipment breakdown insurer in a multi-million dollar business interruption and property damage lawsuit brought by printing company.
- Trial counsel for a boiler and pressure vessel insurer in multi-death negligence and punitive damages action.
- Attained dismissal of multi-million dollar property damage and reconstruction claim of arising out of Midtown Manhattan hi-rise fire claim.
- Achieved summary judgment, affirmed on appeal, for international package shipping company dismissing negligent hiring, retention and supervision claims.
- Obtained reversal on appeal of trial court’s denial of summary judgment and dismissing negligent hiring, retention and supervision claims against international trucking company.
- Trial and appellate counsel for international package shipping company in multiple high impact automobile collision actions
- Obtained summary judgment for defendant elevator maintenance company dismissing both the plaintiff’s complaint and third-party property owner’s complaint for indemnity and contribution.
- Lead trial counsel for municipality defending against claims brought under the Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act (RLUIPA)
- Obtained summary judgment for property owner and escalator maintenance company, dismissing plaintiff’s personal injury complaint sounding in negligence with respect to an escalator accident. Affirmed on appeal.
- Lead trial and appellate counsel for a major elevator manufacturer in personal injury action; attaining dismissal of plaintiff’s negligence claims due to false pleading and corruption of trial process.
- Lead counsel in successfully lifting a state agency’s sanction barring the company from making any competitive bids on government work projects.
- Obtained summary judgment for defendant elevator maintenance company dismissing the plaintiff's personal injury complaint sounding in negligence with respect to an elevator accident.
- Lead counsel for elevator manufacturer; successfully defending against a competitor’s bid protest of the award of a government contract for a major international airport.
- Trial attorney for tobacco company in multiple state court personal smoker actions, including design defect claims.
United States Marine Corps Reserve, Infantry Officer, 2003 - Present
United States Marine Corps, Active Duty, 2002 – 2003
United States Marine Corps, Active Duty, 1989 - 1996
- Taylor v. United Parcel Service, Inc.,
72 A.D.3d 573, 899 N.Y.S.2d 223 (N.Y. App. Div. 1st Dep’t 2010), leave to appeal denied, 15 N.Y.3d 705, 907 N.Y.S.2d 753 (2010).
- Yildiz v. PJ Food Service, Inc.,
82 A.D.3d 971, 918 N.Y.S.2d 572 (N.Y. App. Div. 2nd Dep’t 2011)
- Lopez v. Retail Prop. Trust & Kone, Inc.,
35 Misc. 3d 1234(A), 953 N.Y.S.2d 550 (Sup. Ct. Nassau Co. 2012),
- Lopez v. Retail Prop. Trust,
118 A.D.3d 676, 986 N.Y.S.2d 857 (NY App. Div. 2d Dep’t 2014)
- Rivera v. NRDC Equity Partners and KONE Inc.,
N.Y. Sup. Ct., Bronx Co. Index No. 304943/09 (2012)
- Casimir v. KONE, Inc.,
31 Misc.3d 132(A), 927 N.Y.S.2d 814, 2011 WL 1447745 (N.Y. Sup. App. Term 2d Dep’t (2011))
- McIntyre v. The Hartford Steam Boiler Inspection and Insurance Co.,
N.Y. Sup. Ct. Bronx Co. Index No. 24658/04, (2011).
- Charles v. CBS, Inc. and KONE Inc.,
N.Y. Sup. Ct. Kings Co. Index No. 9449/09 (2013)