Jennifer has successfully litigated cases throughout the United States, including numerous trials in state and federal courts. She has authored appellate briefs and presented oral arguments in the United State Court of Appeals for the Fourth and Second Circuits. Jennifer represents clients in transportation litigation, product liability, business and commercial disputes, construction defect claims, and employment related matters. She also advises clients on risk management, legal compliance, and investigative and criminal matters. Jennifer’s experience while at the United States Attorney’s Office included defending the United States in civil actions involving torts, contracts, employment, immigration, and civil rights as well as prosecuting narcotics, money laundering, fraud, and child exploitation and sexual assault cases. She is the Managing Partner of Ansa Assuncao’ s Maryland office.
Education and Admissions
District of Columbia
United States District Court for the District of Maryland
United States District Court for the District of Columbia
United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
J.D., University of Baltimore (2000), summa cum laude
B.A., University of Maryland, College Park (1994)
Law Clerk to the Honorable Paul W. Grimm, United States District Court for the District of Maryland (2000-2001)
- Obtained summary judgment for global transportation and logistics company in Superior Court of the District of Columbia in a wrongful death action seeking millions of dollars in alleged damages.
- Obtained summary judgment for international vertical transportation corporation in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia in a personal injury action seeking millions of dollars in alleged damages.
- Obtained summary judgment in a property damage and personal injury case for a national manufacturer and installer of fire places in federal court.
- Obtained defense verdict in a construction defect case involving new home construction.
- Obtained defense verdict in an automobile accident case filed in the United States District Court for the District of Maryland.
- Successfully defended automobile manufacturer at trial against products liability claims regarding property damage and personal injury.
- Secured removal of a wrongful death case from Mississippi state court to federal court based on fraudulent/improper joinder.
- Helped secure removal of a case to federal court based on fraudulent joinder where complaint was filed in the Circuit Court of Baltimore City, Maryland against a global automotive manufacturer alleging product liability and personal injury claims.
- Successfully defended cases alleging personal injury and death involving alleged toxic exposure to substances claimed to be installed by a national manufacturer and installer of insulation.
- Successfully defeated application for a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction regarding an alleged violation of a non-compete agreement.
- Successfully prosecuted case for violations of a vertical transportation company’s non-compete agreement.
- Successfully prosecuted cases for violations of a national staffing company’s non-compete agreements.
- Successfully defended numerous cases alleging property damages against a national manufacturer and installer of insulation where plaintiff claimed improper installation led to pipes freezing and damages.
- Successfully defending against a preliminary and permanent injunction by a global pharmaceutical company against the FDA and a generic pharmaceutical company.
United States Attorney’s Office, District of Maryland (2004-2008)
DLA Piper (2001-2004)