Steve represents companies and organizations faced with litigation in a wide variety of commercial disputes, class actions, insurance coverage disputes, products liability and toxic tort claims, construction defect and delay damage claims, franchise disputes, preliminary injunctions and appeals. Resident in Ansa Assuncao’s East Brunswick, New Jersey office, Steve litigates cases brought in the federal and state courts of New Jersey, New York and throughout the United States. Steve also regularly counsels business organizations and individuals on contractual agreements, commercial issues and risk management concerns.
Education and Admissions
District of Columbia
U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
Supreme Court of the United States
J.D., Seton Hall University School of Law (1995), cum laude
B.A., Syracuse University (1986)
- Currently representing a timeshare resort company in a putative class action in New Jersey federal court.
- Currently representing a leading plumbing product manufacturer in a putative class action case in the Los Angeles, California Superior Court.
- Currently representing a global vertical transportation corporation in an asbestos-related insurance coverage dispute in the Chicago, Illinois Chancery Court.
- Currently defending a subcontractor against a general contractor’s construction delay damage claims stemming from the “Big Dig” public works project in Boston, Massachusetts.
- Successfully petitioned and secured an appellate victory before the Supreme Court of the United States, which summarily reversed the judgment of the New Jersey Supreme Court that unconstitutionally asserted ‘stream of commerce’ personal jurisdiction over a foreign manufacturer.
- Argued before the Supreme Court of New Jersey and the Superior Court of New Jersey Appellate Division on behalf of a British manufacturer challenging the court’s exercise of ‘stream of commerce’ personal jurisdiction.
- Successfully argued before the Third Circuit Court of Appeals on behalf of a telecommunications services company in a breach of contract action resulting in the reversal of the trial court’s grant of summary judgment.
- Successfully defended a global electronics manufacturer against consumer fraud and breach of warranty claims in various federal court putative consumer product class action cases in New Jersey federal court.
- Defended a global hardware distributor in a breach of contract action brought by a Chinese manufacturer/supplier in the Southern District of New York.
- Defended an international chemical manufacturer in a multi-plaintiff toxic tort action involving allegations of workplace exposures by workers in a paint manufacturing plant.
- Successfully defended a leading plumbing product manufacturer in a putative class action case in Nevada federal court.
- Defended an importer of stainless steel tubing in a breach of contract action brought by a Chinese steel mill.
- Defended a leading paint manufacturer as national coordinating counsel in nationwide cases alleging benzene exposure.
- Represented a national hotel chain in various disputes with its franchisees.
- Defended a large religious organization and commercial property owner in consolidated Bronx County and New York County lawsuits involving seven deaths and several gun-shot victims caused by the criminal acts of a mentally disturbed vigilante following a racial protest led by a prominent New York City civil rights activist.
- Obtained a preliminary and permanent injunction against the minister of a Brooklyn, New York church who was deposed by his congregation.
DLA Piper, LLP (1996-2008)